Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Road Trip!

This past week I went on a little road trip, leaving the farm to the family in the hopes that when I got back, no one, including the teenagers, would be starving.  Hus-Man may be a mother hen, but he is not always concerned about who eats what when or even if they eat.  I did leave a crockpot of teriyaki chicken...so there was food the first night I was gone.

Any-who...
Barb (now named the Peachy Queen for her endless desire to have an abundant amount of peaches) picked me up and we drove down to Buck and Dee's.  We had fab-O homemade pizza.  Buck's pizza crust is delish - crusty on the outside, chewy on the inside - and that is saying something since I make a mean pizza myself.  Buck also made homemade pitas.  We had them for breakfast AND lunch.  I also got to meet Dee's chickens.  She has 10 hens and the amazingly beautiful Rooster Benson.  I have rooster envy!


He is a silver laced red wyandotte (I think some folks call it blue laced) and he is beautiful...and loud...and a show off.  BUT as beautiful as he is (as are many of his breed), I only want eggs from the Girls, no chicks. Behind Rooster Benson is an Australorpe.  It was interesting to compare Dee's full-grown girls to our teenage ones!
The purpose of this trip was to drive to North Carolina to pick up Buck and Dee's 12 year old son from a week long camp - with the alluring promise of good girl fun and a stop at the fabric Mecca of South Carolina - Mary Jo's.
I saw the Peach Butt of South Carolina, and it is bigger than the Peach Butt of Georgia...


Yep...that's it way off in the distance and through the back window as we zoom down the interstate at 75mph.
Then we got to Mary Jo's...


Notice how the Peachy Queen is demonstrating how one opens the door to Mary Jo's (and hamming it up) while Dee stands there looking at us like we are crazy.
Once inside Mary Jo's, the Peachy Queen and I became speechless (Yes, it CAN happen, but it is rare).



Mary Jo's is HUMUNGOUS!  And organized by fabric type, and color, and theme!  While I didn't find what I was looking for, Barb found some amazing fabrics for various projects that she and her daughter are working on.  I would say that if I needed fabric for quilting or cute crafty-type projects, this is the place to go.
After MJ's, we ate sandwiches on pita in the parking lot and hit the road, arriving at our hotel in North Carolina that evening rather giddy from being in the car so long.  We had very yummy Carolina barbeque for dinner.




The Peachy Queen Who is Not from the South tried her first (and only, from the look on her face) pork rind.
We saw Brave - for Dee's sake.  It was just as good the second time as it was the first.  We went to bed late and got up early and headed to camp.  After child retrieval, we hit the road, headed back to Georgia, but not before a very important detour.




I give you South of the Border, a landmark of great, ahem, renown just south of the North Carolina stateline.  Apparently I missed much in my childhood because I had never seen South of the Border.  My childhood is now complete and I have no need to visit this place again.  Thanks, Barb and Dee!




4 comments:

  1. That's my supervillain pose in front of Mary Jo's. ;0

    Very glad you got some nice rooster pics and wow, that South of the Border collage is awesome!!

    Fantastic trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a fabulous trip. Can't wait for the next opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been to South of the Border. Very interesting place.

    ReplyDelete